The organisation for health professionals working in the preoperative field
The Preoperative Association is an organisation for health professionals working in the preoperative field and was launched in 2004.
The Preoperative Association has 12 council members who meet regularly at the Association of Anaesthetists, London. The committee is leading the development of Preoperative Assessment in the UK, and works alongside the Royal College of Anaesthetists, National Institute of Clinical Excellence and NHS producing national policies.
Any person, whether a staff member in healthcare or a lay person may seek membership of the Preoperative Association, resulting in an inclusive and open association. Please see the Membership section for further details.
2004-2005 - Dr John Carlisle
2006-2007 - Mrs Jane Jackson
2008-2009 - Dr Dave Earl
2010-2011 - Mrs Jane Jackson
2011-2012 - Dr Burra Murthy
2013-2014 - Dr Rob Hill
2015-2016 - Mrs Marie Digner
2017-2018 - Prof Burra Murthy
Mission Statement for The Preoperative Association
- Establish best practice in the field of preoperative medicine through research, audit and consensus
- Disseminate this best practice through conferences, publications and the Preoperative Association website
- Provide study days and training events to promote a safe national standard and knowledge base
- Identify the competencies expected for nursing grades working in the preoperative assessment clinics within the NHS and private healthcare sector
- Contribute to the production of guidelines to facilitate multi-disciplinary teams working in the Preoperative Assessment clinics
- Establish and award grants for research in the field of preoperative optimisation for patients undergoing surgical procedures
- Establish and award bursary for developing and implementing projects to improve patient safety in the field of Preoperative Medicine